Thursday, December 07, 2006

Sue's Incredible Scones

You are going to love me for this recipe. I got it from my friend, Sue Thornton, and I love her for sharing it with me! These are the best scones ever and will be a hit on Christmas morning or at your ladies' tea.

2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, chilled
3/4 to 1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup finely chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup craisins
6 oz. white chocolate chips
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 cup coarsely broken walnuts
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut the butter into 1/2 inch cubes and distribute them over the flour mixture. With a pastry blender/cutter cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

In a small bowl, stir together the cream, egg, and vanilla. Add the cream mixture to the flour mixture and knead until combined. Knead in the white chocolate, walnuts, and fruit.

With lightly floured hands, pat the dough out into a 9 inch diameter circle in the center of an ungreased baking sheet. With a serrated knife, cut circle into 8 wedges. Actually cut the wedges apart.

Another option:
Sue presses the dough onto a cookie sheet and cuts into squares.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned.

Remove the baking sheet to a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes. Using a spatula, transfer the scones to the wire rack to cool. Re-cut into wedges if necessary. Serve warm or cool completely and store in an airtight container. To freeze, store in airtight container between layers of wax paper. Thaw out the night before you want to serve.

One recipe makes 8-10 scones.

3 comments:

  1. I love scones! Thanks for this, Cheryl.
    Hey, ya'll wanna come over for my ladies's tea?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - I'm going to make this for Christmas. They sound yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Cheryl, these look lovely!! I've been soooo into baking of late, and will add them to my list of things to try.

    I made a great cranberry coffee cake Sunday for breakfast! Yum!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete