Sunday, May 27, 2007

The Holiday


I'm on a movie renting kick. Movies jump start my creativity and are pure escapism. After working in the yard and garden for six hours after church, then a quick WallyWorld run for more mulch and ice cream, we watched The Holiday. (My husband said not to tell any of his friends that he loved this movie. LOL) Close-minded people would call it a chick flick. I call it great writing and a couple hours of laughs.









Iris (Kate Winslet) is in love with a man who is about to marry another woman. Across the globe, Amanda (Cameron Diaz) realizes the man she lives with has been unfaithful. Two women who have never met and live 6,000 miles apart, find themselves in the exact same place. They meet online at a home exchange website and impulsively switch homes for the Christmas holiday. Iris moves into Amanda's L.A. house in sunny California as Amanda arrives in the snow covered English countryside.

Shortly after arriving at their destinations, both women find the last thing either wants or expects: a new romance. Amanda is charmed by Iris' handsome brother Graham (Jude Law) and Iris, with inspiration provided by legendary screenwriter Arthur (Eli Wallach), mends her heart when she meets film composer Miles (Jack Black). I highly recommend this film. The characters are fun and the plot moves along swiftly. There are a couple of surprises and of course a happy ending. One of my favorite scenes is Kate Winslet "dancing" while lying in bed.

4 comments:

  1. I also loved "The Holiday." I believe it was done by the same people who did "Love, Actually," which is a fantastic romantic movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember seeing the previews for this movie but must have missed it! I'll definitley check this movie out...and will be great during the rainy week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great movie! Mandy and I watched it when I was in Portland a couple of weekend for our "girls weekend". Another great chick flick that Dennis & I watched this weekend is "Music & Lyrics" with Hugh Grant & Drew Barrymore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hugh Grant & Drew Barrymore are always good!

    ReplyDelete