Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Where Do I Find My Joy In Writing? Winnie Griggs



When Cheryl invited me to write a post on the above topic I jumped at the chance.  Because there are so many things about the writing experience that has brought real joy to my life.  First of course, is the opportunity to share with others all these stories that fill my head, demanding to get out.  And every time I get a note from a reader who was moved in some way by one of these stories, it touches something inside me, makes me truly happy

But there is another aspect of my writing that I never expected when I started down this road - the numerous friendships I developed with other writers.  After I’d finished writing my first full length novel, I joined writing groups in the hopes that they would guide me in the ‘what now’ aspects.  The more experienced writers I met there took this nervous newbie under their wing, providing support, encouragement and invaluable lessons on the craft and business of writing.  I met writers who were at the same stage as me and we shared lessons we’d learned, critiqued together and spent hours talking about our dreams and our plans. 

Eventually I met others less experienced than I and tried to pay forward the same sort of support I’d received.   And along the way, many of these folks have become friends.  And some of them are now among the closest and dearest friends I’ve ever had.  My life is so much richer for having these folks in it.

So where do I find the joy in my writing - it is in the people it has brought into my life.


Rescuer Turned Husband?
Plucky Ivy Feagan is headed to Turnabout, Texas, to claim an inheritance, not a widower's heart. That all changes when strapping schoolteacher Mitch Parker rescues her in the wilderness. Straightlaced Mitch has never met a woman like Ivy—beautiful, adventurous and good-hearted—but he already lost love once and doesn't dare try again.

When Turnabout's gossips target Mitch and Ivy's friendship, he proposes to save her reputation. But Ivy doesn't want to marry for honor, and she doesn't need to marry for money. Ivy will only agree to a proposal made for love's sake—but will Mitch make his heart part of the marriage offer?


Texas Grooms: In search of their brides…
 

Winnie Griggs is the author of Historical (and occasionally Contemporary) romances that focus on Small Towns, Big Hearts, Amazing Grace.  She is also a list maker, a lover of dragonflies and holds an advanced degree in the art of procrastination.

On a fun note - having been born on a Friday the 13th, Winnie has always considered 13 her lucky number.  This belief was recently reinforced when her 13th book, Handpicked Husband, won a Romantic Times Reviewers Choice Award in - what else - 2013.

Winnie loves to hear from readers.  You can connect with her on facebook at www.facebook.com/WinnieGriggs.Author or email her at winnie@winniegriggs.com.

 


8 comments:

  1. The sincerity of your stories always pull me in. The lyrical prose is a cherry on top!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Connie - thanks for stopping by, and also for the nice words about my writing.

      Delete
  2. What a nice post, and what a good place to find joy--getting to know other writers are one of the very best parts of the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz - thanks for dropping by. Glad you enjoyed the post! And I'm sure you have found joy in these relationships as well

      Delete
  3. Love your post Winnie! Your books are always a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wow, thank you for that Rhonda. Such a sweet thing to say!

    ReplyDelete