Monday, May 19, 2014

The Joys of Nature: Barbara Monajem


When Cheryl asked for posts on the topic of JOY, my thoughts went straight to my all-time favorite poet, Gerard Manley Hopkins. Hopkins was a 19th century Jesuit priest, and what impresses me most about some of his poems is how his beliefs are reflected in his intense appreciation of nature. His poems are chock full of… you guessed it… joy. (Evidently he took Bible quotes like the ones Cheryl has posted this month to heart.)

Thoughts of nature led me to birds, whose songs are…yep, full of joy. Well, maybe not all of them sound joyful to us, but I have to assume that a crow’s caw is as full of life and pleasure as the chirping of the songbirds in my yard.


Last month when I was on a road trip I took pictures of more of the joys of nature -- mountains (I grew up in the mountains and cannot help but burst with joy at the sight of them), flowers (I love dandelions), bugs, cedar trees and moss, ocean and massive rocks.


And then there are words. That’s another way in which I relate to Hopkins and to many, many poets and writers—in my love of words and my joy in working with them.  I get fulfillment from writing stories, and sometimes they’re my refuge from the world, but it’s not that simple. I love the interplay of words. I revel in the rhythm of sentences, the short and long, the simple and the turned-about and the complex. I amuse myself thinking of a dozen ways to say the same thing. I write and rewrite until I’ve found (or often haven’t) the perfect words to express what I’m hoping to say. I love the similarities and differences between languages and how languages change over time; I’ve even spent hours trying to learn Anglo-Saxon, because I get such enjoyment from the look and sound of it.
 

I cannot help but be grateful for these and the many other things (and of course, people) who bring me joy. Cheryl, thank you for dreaming up such a wonderful topic for the month!


IS THIS LOVE – OR MURDER?
She’s running from the present. He’s hurtling toward the past he tried all his life to ignore.

When vampire Mirabel Lane goes to Bayou Gavotte to hide out from the mobster she just dumped, the last thing she expects is to inherit a house. No, make that the second to last thing. What she really doesn’t expect is to fall for the previous owner’s gorgeous grandson.

When Gerry Kingsley goes to Bayou Gavotte to check out probable gold-digger and possible murderer Mirabel Lane, the last thing he expects is to fall in love with the irresistible twenty-something vampire.
                       
No, what he really doesn’t expect is to unearth―once and for all―his family’s dark, convoluted past.



ORDER BACK TO BITE YOU FROM AMAZON
read an excerpt



14 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting me share my pics and my joy, Cheryl. :~))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures! A great way to communicate joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz! Thanks to modern technology (i.e. cell phones), my photos actually turn out quite well sometimes. :)

      Delete
  3. Yes, lovely pictures. Thanks for the reminder of joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lani! It's good to be reminded of joy, isn't it? It's great that Cheryl is posting reminders all month long.

      Delete
  4. Oh, did I get excited when I saw Haystack Rock in Cannon Beach. I'm from Seaside so I spent lot of time there as a teenager.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Collette! I think we drove through Seaside. We had a really lovely time driving along the coast.

      Delete
  5. Loved the photos. Such a nice way to communicate Joy. tweeted. Barb Bettis

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have similar joys! I also love to have the students I tutor smile when I arrive to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mary! Yes, doesn't a smile brighten up your day!?!

      Delete
  7. What a great attitude toward life. Even taking pics of bugs!!! Do bugs smile?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary R, I'm sure they smile (at me, anyway). I really like bugs (unless they bite me), but that was an accident -- I didn't notice the bug until afterward.

    ReplyDelete