Friday, April 03, 2009

Reading to Eric's Class



I took a road trip this morning. I visited Eric's school and read to the 4th graders. His teacher picked a terrific book about two sisters living in Africa. One was jealous of the other, and wanted to be queen one day. It was a parable actually, about being kind to everyone, not only the people you think will help you get ahead.

The kids were great listeners. The birthday donuts didn't hurt. And they asked great questions. I am always impressed by the intelligent questions students have. One boy, who'd never heard the word plagiarism, asked if you could take someone else's story and make it your own.



Another asked if Eric had any more famous people in his family. LOL That cracked us up.

One of my favorite things to do is take a Japanese translation and asked one of the students to read a page aloud. They always get the funniest look on their face when I open the book.



One girl asked if it was hard to write that book in Japanese. That's not the first time I've had that question. Kids automatically assume that if your book is in a foreign language, you must have written it that way. I explained about translators.

Then LeighAnn and I went to a couple of stores in their quaint little community, I took a few pictures of historic buildings and homes and she took me to lunch.

It was a great day!

3 comments:

  1. What fun! You look like you're having such a great time when you visit your grandkids classes. Don't ask Alex to read that Japanese translation-he would do it and surprise even you. Ha! Only 4 weeks before I go to see him and get my hands on that boy. Yippee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Birthday doughnuts? Whose birthday...Yours? Mine is tomorrow...was born 4-4-44. My writing that makes me know that I am getting better/older all the time

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, one of the students had a birthday. Mine is coming up on the 14th.

    ReplyDelete