Thursday, February 23, 2006

What I'm working on

I'm currently on deadline for a historical I'm calling THE LAWLESS MISS HOLLIS. I really hope I get to keep the title. I have pictures of my characters up over my desk to inspire me. It's set in Newton, Kansas a few years after THE DOCTOR'S WIFE. I will be bringing Caleb and Ellie into the story somewhere.

My heroine, Sophie was once in cahoots with and controlled by a con artist, but she stole their last big take and ran. By faking references and background information, she has landed herself a job as a Harvey Girl. Sophie is determined to create her own destiny. Clay Connor is the city marshal, and she's none too pleased when he takes an interest in her. The last thing she needs in a lawman sniffing around. Things really take a spin when the con man shows up, threatening to expose Sophie's true identity if she doesn't go along with one last scam.

I have a turkey breast in the oven. My daughter told me I could have my own cooking show, as much talking to myself as I do when I'm cooking. So I made the stuffing using my Julia Childs' voice. (She didn't know who Julia Childs was, so it lost some of the effect. I should have thrown in BAM or two.)

7 comments:

  1. Cheryl,

    Your newest story sounds intriguing. I've always wanted to write a "non-pollyanna" heroine. She sounds like fun. And I hope you keep the title too!

    Charlene Sands

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new story sounds great! I love all of your books including The Doctor's Wife! That one really touched me.

    I like the title too. I think that it is neat that you use pictures of your characters to inspire you. Do you know who the people are in real life?

    Can't wait to read it!

    LOL about the turkey and Julia Childs' voice. I like cooking shows, but never watched Julia Childs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me thinks you're too young to have watched Julia Childs, Jennifer. LOL

    No, I don't usually know who the people are when I use their pictures. That sonehow adds a personality that's not my character. But occasionally I use a familiar face because it's perfect. For example, Booker on the cover of LAND OF DREAMS was from a picture of John F. Kennedy Jr. On the other hand the artist portrayed Thea nothing like the picture I sent.

    Sometimes I get exactly what I asked for, other times not even close.

    I'll scan a few pictures for you so you can see what I mean.

    Hi, Charlene! I love less-than-perfect heroines, too, and this character has a backstory that motivates the way she is, so it should work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read this! I love the title too! It seems that it's always the hero that has to redeem himself. I like the idea of the heroine doing it!

    I've watched Julia Childs a lot! lol I'm not to young!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think that I am too young! I just never watched her. LOL! I do know who she is though and her distinctive way of talking.

    That is interesting about the picture thing. Do you send them for every book?

    Oh and as for titles, how many of your books actually have the titles you suggested?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh goodie! When will this one be out? It will be nice to visit Caleb and Ellie again and I know it's probably not part of the story but will you bring us up to date on the brothers and the children?

    Booker is JFK? I guess there's a little bit of a very young JFK. I thought the cover looked a bit like Julian Macmahon when he was in Charmed.

    Did you see Julia's last cooking show? She teamed up with Jacques Pepin. I love to watch cooking shows..it reminds me of how inept I am.; but I love to eat and I enjoy seeing all that good food being prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds great! Thanks for letting us know what you are working on. Can't wait until Wed Under Western Skies comes out in May.

    ReplyDelete