Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Mary Connealy: Sour Cream Chocolate Cake


My mother-in-law turned ninety this year and she had perfected this cake before any of you were even a gleam in your daddy’s eye. A lot of my book Calico Canyon was inspired by tales told me by my mother-in-law.




Grandma Connealy’s Sour Cream Chocolate Cake

2 C. sour cream
1 t. vanilla
4 eggs

Beat well and add:

2 ½ C. sifted flour
2 C. sugar
½ C. cocoa
2 t. soda
pinch salt

Beat well. Bake in 9 X 13 pan at 3500 about 45 minutes.




Chocolate Fudge Frosting

Delicious but tricky. Easy to overcook.

1 C. sugar
1 heaping T. cocoa
1/3 C. milk

Boil nearly to soft ball stage. That means a candy thermometer which I don’t own. That might be why I always over cook it. Then it turns to a solid, unspreadable chunk of frosting.

Add:

1 t. vanilla
1 T. butter
Cool partially.

Add:
Powdered sugar to the right consistency.

I always add too much! The only reason I’m including this recipe is because it’s the one my husband’s mother always uses on her Sour Cream Chocolate Cake and, done correctly, it’s about the best in the world. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment