Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Queen Victoria's Underpants

Just the title of this blog makes me laugh!
You know, while other writers are blogging updates on the RWA conference and sharing brilliant bits of history and even offering tips on writing, I'm here to talk about underwear. Royal underwear as a matter of fact. I know, I have a rather irreverent attitude, but we'd all be a lot happier of we didn't take ourselves so seriously. So loosen up and enjoy this one.

A Canadian buyer paid $9,000 at auction for a pair of Queen Victoria's bloomers. The handmade knickers, modeled in the photo by Samantha Rhodes, date back to the 1890s and bear the monogram "VR" for Victoria Regina. They have a 50-inch waist.

The auctioneer said Queen Victoria's underpants belonged to "a very big lady of quite small stature with a very wide girth." She was said to be 5 feet tall.

The handmade knickers -- which date back to the 1890s -- bear the monogram "VR" for Victoria Regina. They are open-crotch style, with separate legs joined by a drawstring at the waist, a popular style in the late Victorian era.

The royal drawers belonged to a family in western England whose ancestor was a lady-in-waiting for the queen.

"These pants, considering their provenance and pedigree, are very exciting," the auctioneer said. "They are monogrammed and crested and we know that they are hers."

Also up for auction was Queen Victoria's chemise, with a 66-inch bust, sold for $8,000. Her nightgown sold for $11,000.

Queen Victoria lived from 1819 to 1901. She became queen at age 18 and was the U.K.'s longest-reigning monarch. Her reign is noted for both imperial expansion--no pun intended -- well, okay yes it was -- and the decreasing political power of the monarch.

And there you have it -- er -- them. Vintage royal knickers.

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting. It's amazing to me how much money people will pay for this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my---ROFL!!! You're right, we're WAY too serious about ourselves for our own good. However, I did immediately think of how slender I'm feeling after reading the measurements here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I told Dee and Mary Alice tonight that I had blogged about Queen Victoria's underpants. Of course being from England, Mary Alice said, "What?" and I got a snicker from Dee. Then I explained about the auction.

    They wondered if one day my underwear would be valuable! Guess I'd better buy a few fancy pair for posterity.

    Don't you love words? Compare these two in this context:
    Posterity
    Posterior

    :::snort:::

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fancy pants for posterity. Now that's a thought. I bet a thong from Madonia would go for a nice sum. Wonder how we could get a hold of a pair?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those ARE very exciting pants!

    ReplyDelete
  6. so............


    ..................


    .................nervous?

    I'm thinking of you. Good luck, but being nominated is oh, so cool. that is NOT just something losers say.

    ReplyDelete