Monday, September 05, 2005

Don't you just love long weekends?

What could be better? An extra day for a real breakfast...time to chill...time to take care of things you've been waiting to handle. We got yard work done. The black-eyed Susans and bachelor buttons out front were done in, so they got clipped down to reveal mums, caladium and even pansies that had miraculously survived the heat! I had a pretty little birdhouse peeping over the top of that wild bed of flowers. The space is now filled with those remaining flowers, an old wooden bench and clay pot filled with red geraniums. A scarecrow will soon sit on the bench -- and I found a huge old basket to pile pumpkins in and around. Probably a few cornstalks will complete the scenario. We ate the last of our corn over the weekend.

Yes, I'm as crazy outside as I am inside. Speaking of inside...I painted my front door while my hubby mowed and ate weeds (should that be weed-eated? -- er -- used the weed eater). LOL It's a loverly shade of red -- red with just a tinge of pink. I love it.

This afternoon we were cutting sections of vintage picket fence to use in the back for my rose garden, when we got rained in, so we ended up recovering our kitchen chairs. They're vintage bentwood chairs, made in Romania; the seats used to be blue, but now they're dark red. I don't know what they were in their first life -- cane perhaps. I love them. Anyway, those were tasks we'd been wanting to get to for some time now, so that feels good.

On the list: a wonderful old round pedestal table that's been in the garage awaiting attention. The top needs repaired and put back on. It has two leaves that make it a huge oval. I'm thinking red for the kitchen. (Our garage and shed are filled with vintage furniture projects.)

What did you do over your three-day weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment