Thursday, September 08, 2005

Caught Up!

It was a rare week. I'm not sure where everybody was and what they were doing, but the email lists were few and far between. Even my spam folder was slim. For the first time in I don't know how long, I am completely caught up on email.

I always have folders full under each of the three addresses I use. There are always those posts that get pushed back, because I don't want to answer them, deal with them, do the work right then--and so they collect cyber dust. I had a few that had been there for a month or better! One was a survey I fully intended to complete. I did. One was a email to myself reminding me to do something. I didn't. A few were newsletter digests I finally skimmed. Check. One was a project for an editor. Check. Now I can't even recall what the others were.

My freecycle folder can fill up in a day. Easily 50-100 posts on a Saturday. But I might miss something good, so I always skim and delete. Someday someone might post a chintz teapot and cups and I'll be all over those. You just never know.

I wonder about those people who boast they limit their email to after their work is done, or a half hour a day, or a couple of times a week. Some people even forget to check email. Yes, it's true. Hmmm. I seem to check email more often when I'm on a roll with my writing. It's something I do when my brain freezes and won't squeeze out another word. Like shopping. Or driving. Or eating.

Hey. Email me. You know I'm here.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cheryl,

    I have to admit, I can't even begin working in the AM unless I get into my email. It's like making the bed before I leave the house, or cleaning up the kitchen right after a meal, I have to do it. I read them, I don't always have time to answer, but I can't seem to leave too much business unfinished. Only after I read my emails and write my blog, do I get serious and begin my writing.
    I think we all have our own way of doing things. After a 4 day vacation I came home to 91 emails. Yikes! And that didn't include my junk mail, which isn't always junk. It was quite overwhelming and I found my finger on the delete button, more times than not.
    But it's our connection to the outside writing world and we'd miss it terribly if we didn't have it, agree?

    ReplyDelete