Monday, June 25, 2012

Interview with Maeve Murphy, heroine from The Wedding Journey



Just for fun today, I've posted this interview with Maeve Murphy, my heroine from The Wedding Journey. I hope you enjoy getting to know her better.

  1. Maeve, tell me the most interesting thing about you.

I don’t think of myself as all that interesting, but people always ask me how I learned the things I know about natural remedies. From the time I was a wee child, my mother taught me, she did. I accompanied her to the births of most of the village children. There was a woman in the village who taught me how to gather plants and use them for their healing properties.


2.  What do you do for fun?

Spending time with my sisters, sometimes making a simple meal to share, other times singing and dancing . Joy is in time spent together, not the cost.


3.  What do you put off doing because you dread it?

I’d postpone laundry day forever if  I could, but I can’t leave it all for my sisters. My clothing is for the most part, hand-me-downs and plain faded dresses. No soap or iron can make them look any better, but we take pride in being clean and having our garments pressed. One day I will have pretty dresses and maybe even a new hat.


4.  What are you afraid of most in life?

I haven’t counted all the times God said, “Fear not,” in His Word, but He must have thought He needed to tell me over and over so I’d get it. I believe His promises are true. He called me His child and assured me He’s my Fortress, my Shelter and my High Tower. If God is with me, who can stand against me? When I walk by faith and keep my eyes on Jesus, I have nothing to fear. When I have concerns, I turn them over to Him, and He is faithful.


5.  What do you want out of life?

I want to be a good wife and one day a loving mother. I hope to live my life so once I’m gone, my family will remember me fondly and have many good memories. A new pair of knickers would be a blessin’ too.


6.  What is the most important thing to you?

Family. Back in Ireland we Murphys were as close as a family can be. Losing Mother and later Da was like losing a part of myself. My sisters are my dearest friends and confidants. One day soon we will each have our own families, with husbands and children, and there’s nothing I’d like more than gathering often.


7.  Do you read? If so, what is your favorite type of book to read?

We never had money for books, but my dear mother had a few in her trunk. Even though there was work to be done in the fields and the cottage, Da made sure my sisters and I went to school long enough to be able to read and cipher. On Saturday nights we used to gather to read Mother’s Bible.


8.  If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

Why I’d change this wild red hair, I would! My oldest sister Nora’s hair is lustrous and dark, and Bridget’s is a lovely auburn hue with waves—but mine? Well, mine is bright red-orange with corkscrew kinks. It’s downright unmanageable…but for some reason unbeknownst to me, Flynn Gallagher thinks it’s beautiful.


9.  Do you have a pet? If so, what is it and why that pet?

I once raised a lamb that’s mother died. Da warned me not to grow attached, but I loved that wooly creature, even when he grew too big to keep in the pen near the garden. Da didn’t have the heart to make mutton stew out of him, so that fat sheep provided us with wool socks and scarves for many winters.


10. If you could travel back in time, where would you go and why?

I’d travel to a hillside on a starry night and follow one bright star to Bethlehem. With the wise men and shepherds I’d bow before the newborn King and know the awe and wonder of that night—and the miracle of God’s love for mankind.

3 comments:

  1. 'Tis a lovely job you did little sister.

    Nora Murphy

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made me laugh out loud, Winnie! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so much fun to learn more about the characters we love. Thanks for sharing with us, Maeve.

    ReplyDelete