Friday, December 10, 2010

Christmas Tree Tour: Barb Hunt

Oh, Christmas Tree Oh, Christmas Tree!



The black and white was taken in 1961.  That's me posing in my new dress for my school Christmas program. Yikes!  My dad traded in his angel hair (okay, how many of you remember the white angel hair?) for silver icicles.  Each strand meticulously hung. 

If you look real close you will see on the right side of the tree about sleeve level, a white striped round ornament.  This is one from the first set my mom and dad ordered from Sears for their first Christmas in 1946. 
 
Now if you look at the picture of this year's family tree you will see the same ornament on the left side of the tree about a 1/4 of the way down.  There are three other ornaments on the tree from that set and equally as precious to me. 



First and foremost in our house, Jesus is the reason for the season. 

But Christmas is also a time to remember and appreciate those we love, past and present.  For me, the decorations on my Christmas tree are like the fan quilt my Grandma Eastman made me out of the bits of cloth she saved from old dresses she had worn for many years.  Each bit brings back a much cherished memory of when she wore that dress.  The same is true for old ornaments on a tree. Memories of a revolving door of family and friends.  Love, laughter, egg nog, my dad reading me the Night Before Christmas, Mitch Miller Christmas music, footies, and my bestest gift ever. . .a transistor radio in a leather case.  :)

The small tree is in the den is my Toy Story, Coca Cola tree.


. . .Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!
Barb

3 comments:

  1. I love the blast from the past tree. Makes me want to go find some of my old holiday pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The black and white looks so familiar to my past. Would love to have my mother's pictures from old now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some b and w pics from Christmases growing up. They are treasures.

    ReplyDelete