Friday, June 20, 2008

What is my critique group having tonight?

PINEAPPLE DESSERT

1 20 oz can crushed pineapple with juice
8 eggs separated
1 cup sugar
1 small package lemon jello



Beat egg yolks and add 1 cup sugar. In a heavy saucepan, cook until thick. Add jello and cool. Be patient - I put it in the fridge. ---> cooling

Next:
32 graham crackers
1 cup melted buttr or margarine (I use margarine)
1 cup sugar

While the pineapple pudding mixture is cooling, crush the graham crackers.

The age old question--what is one graham cracker? Is it the whole rectangle? Or the square, which is really a half? I don't know the answer. I like a LOT of graham cracker crumbs, so I go for the gusto.

Melt the margarine and stir into the crumbs, Press half to 2/3 of the mixture into a glass 9 x 13 pan. Reserve for the rest for the topping.


Here's the secret to perfect meringue, which is what you're going to make next:

Place the DEEP GLASS bowl and the beaters in the refridgerator (or the freezer if you don't have much time). I set the whites in the glass bowl in the fridge and the beaters beside it. Make sure your bowl and beaters are clean and dry.



Once the pudding mixture is cool, it's time to beat the whites. HIGH speed with your mixture, stirring occasionally. It won't take long if your beaters and bowl are cold. Keep at it until the whites form peaks. Add the last cup of sugar a little at a time and keep stirring.


Now you're ready to mix the meringue mixture and pudding mixture together! Fun!


Blend well.

Yes, I can use the mixer with my left hand and take pictures with my right.
Where else do you get step-by-step instructions like this?





Top with the rest of the crumbs, cover with plastic wrap and refridgerate to set.


Once it's set, cut and serve.

cooling in the fridge -------->

That's what the dishwasher's for!

1 comment: