Thursday, July 06, 2006

By Request

Okay. What I did on the 4th. My hubby and I had an opportunity to go salvage at an abandoned farm. The house was off limits because it will be moved, but the yards and barn and outbuildings were fair game. We removed and took home half barn doors (not the big rolling kind). They are so cool. Not sure what we'll do with them, but the possibilities are endless for nuts such as we. We found all the old woodwork taken from the house during a remodel stored in the rafters in the wash house. And we dug up plants. I even found a patch of foxglove. It's so pretty, and did great in the transplant. We used big galvanized tubs to bring all the plants home, including mature day and tiger lilies. I'm sure our neighbors think we're the Beverly Hillbillies every time they see the old truck pull up full of bricks, wood, fencing, etc.. We just love the cottage garden look.

The rest of the day was spent finding places to store wood and doors and getting the flowers in the ground. We were able to fill out some of our beds. They're almost all filled with perennials now. The ground has been worked and is in excellent condition. So nice to work in. Next Spring will be a snap to just rearrange a few things and add here and there, add a few annuals for summer color.

Boy were we pooped at the end of the day.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Cheryl. You lucked out on the farm deal, eh? Good finds!
    ::whining:: I wanna come hang out with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then, Mel, we could both be sunburned and have rashes up our arms from tromping through weeds. LOL I wore long jeans, but a sleeveless top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Cheryl...good to find you on the net once again! Its sister Kathy's daughter, Nickol! Looks like you've been busy and I'm way behind in reading. Anyway, I'll pass this site on to mom so she can keep in touch with you. Oh and I signed up for your newsletter today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nickol! Hope all is well. It's great to hear from you.

    I need to create a printable list of all my books, so people can stay caught up. I'll do that.

    Say hi to your mom.

    ReplyDelete