Saturday, July 22, 2006

Blog Spam

This morning I had to go through and delete 36 spam posts left in the comments sections here. I don't have the verification feature turned on, because I want to keep this blog as easy and friendly for you as I can. And most of the time it's not a problem. These were all made by the same person, probably electroncially generated, because many of the same posts with poor grammar were repeated over and over, like someone who doesn't speak English very well. "Greets to you" and things like that. And they leave a link to their site.

Do you post in blogs where you have to post the verification (enter some wavy numbers in a box to make sure you're a real person reading and posting) and if so, how inconvenient is that for you?

7 comments:

  1. Hi Cheryl,
    Yes, I post in several blogs where you have to type in the alphabet before your post shows up. *g* It's not really a pain but some of the codes are really long. If it will keep spammers from hitting your blog go ahead and post a verification. Wow, I used the word "post" 5 times in this post. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would go ahead and do it, especially if it makes things easier for you.

    I only post in your blog and another friend's blog, neither have the verification feature. My blog doesn't have the feature either.

    Guess I'm really not much help, huh? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of the genealogy boards I use require verification. My philosophy is to stop spammers where ever possible. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I post in several blogs that use the Word Verification feature. It is not a bother to me.

    I don't like Spammers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to turn word verification on after I made the mistake of posting about an erotica novel I read *G* It's amazing how naughty words have a way of attracting spammers.

    And these days, I'm surprised when I don't see word verifiction - so it's never been a hinderance for me personally.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only had to do it 2-3 times when signing up for a web site but if it helps you, OK with me since you are my only blog at present.
    I dislike SPAM also, especially when I get the same ones from 2-5 different people about investing or buying Rolex knock offs, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I post, too. I don't even think about it.

    ReplyDelete