Friday, July 24, 2009

So They Thought Katie Ho-hum-holmes Could Dance?

For a show that features the very best dance talents and choreographers anywhere, what a disappointment--after all the build-up--that they thought Katie Holmes would be a good dancer to feature. The selection was obviously all about her donation to and participation with the Happyfeet Foundation that landed her this gig, 'cause it sure wasn't her dance skills or her singing.

Many of the group dances are taped, but this was SO taped that it was lifeless. She wasn't there in person--because she's a big star? Or because she couldn't face being on the same stage with the real talent? More likely. I'm not harsh here, I'm just telling it like it is. The girl is pretty. She's got knock out skinny legs for the costume, but she's no Judy Garland in the singing or the dancing arena. She learned a few steps and pranced around, did a kick or two, took her hat on and off--Tyce did the best he could with what he had to deal with. But he's used to working with those amazing dancers, you know? Sorry, you got stuck with the job, Tyce. No black mark on your name. Mary Murphy could have danced circles around her. Heck, Jane Seymore, after her gig on Dancing With the Stars could have danced circles around her. And I mean DANCED, not pranced and posed. Am I getting carried away?

I haven't even gotten around to my sadness over Jeanette being voted off. Ever since there was a top twelve and then a top ten, someone excellent has gone home every week. It's inevitable, because they're all excellent and all qualified to win. It's nearly impossible to vote, but vote I do. Now I'll be torn between Kayla and Jeanine.

Jason was a sweetheart, too.

I'm thinking I might have to pop for the tickets and drag someone with me when they're here on the tour. As long as they don't bring Katie Ho-hum-holmes with them.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to know that I wasn't the only one
    who didn't thinks Katie Holmes was all that! I
    think it was sacrilege to call her performance
    an homage to Judy Garland. I know Judy Garland
    the performer and Katie is no Judy Garland.

    Pat Cochran

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I am just too old to like these shows anymore, I used to watch America Bandstand if that tells my age.

    mamat2730(at)charter(dot)net

    ReplyDelete