Friday, May 30, 2014

Joy is Strength: Tina Radcliffe




A lot of people think of joy like frosting on a cupcake, a sweet but temporary, frothy emotion. But I’ve learned that’s anything but the truth.
 
I was reminded in a recent devotion that if I diagram the sentence in Nehemiah 8:10, removing ‘of the Lord’ I would see the reality.
Joy and strength are interchangeable.

Now, for some personal history on how I discovered the strength to be found in joy.

About two years ago, I was dealing with a situation that stole my joy. This was a situation I couldn’t hide from, but faced each and every day. During personal prayer time the Lord instructed me in his still small voice to start a journal. Every single day I was to write at least one thing I was thankful for. 

Each day as the thankfulness grew, discouragement fled and my joy returned. Joy took over and battled against the situation for me.

Fifteen months later, joy overcame the situation and it is now in the past! The solution was nothing I could have dreamed up. And the truth is that the situation wasn’t simply defeated; I came out on the other side in BETTER shape in all areas of my life. Areas that had nothing to do with the situation were positively enhanced. Wow. Now that’s a testimony even I didn’t think I would share.

If your joy is gone your strength is too. No strength = no power to do battle for you and the Kingdom.

Begin one day at a time to lift your voice until your strength returns! Use those joy muscles.

Tina Radcliffe writes joyful and humorous romance for Love Inspired. Her next release Stranded with the Rancher is available for preorder, or find it at your favorite online or real-time book retailer in early September.

LOVE IN BLOOM

A collection of seventeen poignant and romantic short stories guaranteed to make you smile, laugh and remember your first love.

Fans of short romantic fiction will enjoy these 800 to 1200 word heart warmers. Many first appeared in Woman’s World Magazine.

14 comments:

  1. I like this. I'm glad the joy took you to "the other side" even stronger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to go look.
    Nehemiah 8:10

    New International Version (NIV)


    10 Nehemiah said, “Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is holy to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is your strength.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. And also now I'm trying to remember if I was bugging Tina MORE THAN USUAL two years ago!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. peeking here from Seekerville. needed to read this. awesome! thanks Tina!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awe, thanks for the kind words ladies.

    Mary, it was the day job. THE DAY JOB FROM HELL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing this, Tina. I will store this away for when I face my next own personal battle. I'm glad you came through the storm even stronger!

    Mary, that verse reminds me of Seekerville. Always helping and sharing Gods love with others. Not to mention the choice food always in abundance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tina, thanks for this post. When life is tough I find myself complaining, the last thing I should do since grumbling destroys joy. I write in a gratitude journal every day and leave my quiet time refreshed, stronger, yet I hadn't thought that my strength comes from the power of joy, from taking time to see the good, to thank God for His provision and love. As you say, joy and strength are interchangeable.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, ladies for stopping by and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, Tina! That's one of my favorite verses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a neat idea, to write down at least one thing you are thankful for each day. Such an empowering thing to do!

    Nancy C

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was a fabulous day. Thanks to all who came by and joined in! Tomorrow winds up my month of JOY and Mary Connealy is my guest. Don't miss it!

    ReplyDelete