Monday, February 06, 2012

Matrimony Bars

My cousin Diana just found this recipe for me. Diana is second from the left in this photo. I'm on the far right.

cousins, left to right: Carol, Diana, Linda, Larry (my aunt Marilyn) and me.

My Grandma St.John used to make these bars.

Matrimony Bars

1955 Recipe

2 cups flour
2 cups oatmeal
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup melted shortening
1 teaspoon soda
1 can pie filling, pineapple or other flavor
3 egg whites

Combine flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, shortening and soda.  Reserve ½ cup for topping.  Press rest of mixture in shallow 15 by 10-inch jelly roll pan.  Top with pie filling. 
Pile on meringue made from 3 egg whites and sprinkle reserved crumb mixture on top.  Bake 30 minutes in 350-degree oven.  Cool and cut into bars.

4 comments:

  1. YUM! These remind me of fruit bars my mom used to make, but they didn't call for meringue. I've got to try these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! These remind me of fruit bars my mom used to make, but they didn't call for meringue. I've got to try these. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. They remind me of my childhood. I get a kick out of making the same things my grandma made. She was an awesome cook and baker.

    ReplyDelete