Friday, March 05, 2010

Danny Gokey's Best Days Are Ahead of Him

Danny Gokey was the best thing to happen on American Idol this week. He was on the results show last night, performing My Best Days Are Ahead of Me: “I can be whatever I want to be. My best days are ahead of me. I’ve got sunsets to witness, dreams to dance with, and beaches to walk on and lovers to kiss.”

Surprisingly to me, his new album has a country flavor, which Danny said was inspired and suggested by Randy Travis last season. If this song was an indication, it's not gag-me country, but more contemporary sounding. I like a few country artists, like Sugarland--who Danny just happens to be opening for on their tour which starts tomorrow! But I'm not a twang or a steel guitar fan. I still can't believe Kelly Pickler didn't get an early boot on AI, and I still think she stinks.

Anyway, back to Danny. I am definitely going to get his CD, I just have to decide if I want the immediate satisfaction of an itunes download or an album cover. Hmmm.

And speaking of American Idol... you cannot tell me that out of all the thousands and thousands of hopefuls who tried out for the show this year, that those guys were the best the judges could come up with? Pu-leeze. They are awful. And most of the girls aren't that good, either. What happened? At least on So You Think You Can Dance, the competition keeps gets stronger. I'm afraid that when they let Paula go, they also forgot about quality.

Ellen is funny, and I'm not disliking her. Kara is growing on me. But the contestants? I'm not even excited to watch. I don't care who leaves.

1 comment:

  1. Danny's performance last night was great! He was always one of my faves last year. I loved his connection to the song, too--that the man who wrote it had also recently lost his wife. No twang there--just excellent looking forward!

    As to this year's contestants--I'm pretty much in the same boat. Although I do like big Mike. I have to chuckle the guys' hair though. One contestant has what I call 'brady bunch hair'. You know when the boys got a little older and the hair started growing out. :) Then of course, there's the mullet wannna be. Don't ask me about their singing--I can't get past the hair.

    For me all the judges' comments about unique tones and such equal making my ears hurt.

    ReplyDelete