I don't watch morning television, so I rarely ever see performances on the morning shows, but occasionally I catch one while I'm clearing away the breakfast and morning mess. I think the last performance I saw was Mariah Carey. Today I'm so thankful I tuned in as Susan Boyle was about to perform.
I smiled through every song, and I can only think of one way to describe her singing: Honest.
True and pure talent and honest singing that can't really be called a performance, because she doesn't put on any airs or try to be anything she's not. Nor does she have to. No psychotic runs of notes that stretch a syllable into infinity. No spandex or cleavage or bling or sparkles or prancing around. No glam coaching. Just a real woman with an incredible gift, and the HONESTY to clear her throat before she goes for a high note. Breathtakingly beautiful.
People flew from California to hear Susan sing in Rockefeller Center.
Her I Dreamed A Dream album holds the record for the most amazon pre-orders ever.
I ordered one.
The album contains:
1. “Wild Horses” Mick Jagger, Keith Richards The Rolling Stones 4:55
2. “I Dreamed a Dream” Claude-Michel Schönberg, Alain Boublil, Herbert Kretzmer Patti LuPone, from Les Misérables 3:11
3. “Cry Me a River” Arthur Hamilton Julie London 2:43
4. “How Great Thou Art” Carl Boberg Christian Hymn 3:13
5. “You’ll See” Madonna, David Foster Madonna 4:43
6. “Daydream Believer” John Stewart The Monkees 3:20
7. “Up to the Mountain” Patty Griffin Patty Griffin 3:32
8. “Amazing Grace” John Newton Christian Hymn 3:35
9. “Who I Was Born to Be” Original composition 4:10
10. “Proud” Steve Mac,Wayne Hector, Andy Hill Matthew Thomas (Britannia High) 3:22
11. “The End of the World” Arthur Kent, Sylvia Dee Skeeter Davis 3:16
12. “Silent Night” Josef Mohr, Franz Xaver Gruber Christian Christmas Hymn 3:00
Order your copy: