Chocolate Bread Pudding
Prepared by Bill Justus
Executive Chef at HERSHEY LODGE
1 ¾ cups whipping cream
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
¼ cup whole milk
1 ¼ cups HERSHEY’S Semisweet Chocolate Chips
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 ounce French bread with crust, cut into one-inch cubes (4 cups)
· Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
· Bring cream, ½ cup sugar and milk to simmer in heavy medium saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves.
· Remove from heat.
· Add 1 cup HERSHEY’S Semisweet Chocolate Chips and whisk until melted and smooth.
· Whisk egg and vanilla in large bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in hot chocolate mixture.
· Cool chocolate custard 10 minutes, stirring often.
· Add bread cubes and remaining ½ cup HERSHEY’S Semisweet Chocolate Chips to custard and toss to coat.
· Transfer to 1 ½ quart capacity shallow oval baking dish.
· Sprinkle 2 tablespoons sugar over mixture.
· Bake until custard thickens and center is set, approximately 50 minutes.
· Serve warm.
Yield: 6 servings
DISCLAIMER: I have not tried this.