Friday, November 24, 2006

Good News for Historicals

Romantic Times Magazine Says:
And speaking of historicals... we predict that a comeback is on the horizon. With authors like Karen Robards, Judith McNaught and now Julie Garwood returning to the much-beloved genre, it won't be long before all publishers will jump on the bandwagon to cash in on this returning trend. Add to that the recent news that suspense authors Tess Gerritsen and (of all people) Dennis Lehane will have historicals out in the next two years and you can see the trend is already in motion. If you're an author, dust off those historicals and get them ready for submission and if you're a fan of historicals, rejoice in the knowledge that authors and/or publishers have heard your pleas! Let's hope the new historicals live up to what fans want: lush, historically accurate detail, strong, independent heroines, heroes to die for, palpable sexual tension with tender sensuality and books overflowing with old-fashioned romance!

FYI: Keep in mind that when these historicals hit stores it will be up to you (and your buying power) to determine how long the trend lasts. That means you MUST show your support for historicals by purchasing them new and not buying them on sites like half.com or used. "New" book sales is the only measure publishers use to determine if they will continue to publish more historicals.

5 comments:

  1. I always knew you ahead of the times writing historicals :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love historicals and am already showing my support. I just bought Brenda Joyce's two new books about the The de Warenne Dynasty. I'm going to snatch up historicals like crazy. I like it when they have over 400 pages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will endeavor to show my extreme fondness for historicals by buying new rather than satisfying my thrifty need to save pennies by shopping used. Is that the basis for the phrase, penny-wise & pound-foolish? Jim Ball will be pleased,
    just wrote him a check for $40!

    Totally agree with my fellow fans comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy both historicals and suspense and will continue to buy both. I'm really surprised that Tess Gerritsen and Dennis Lehane will be writing them! I like what they have both written and I'm sure their historicals will be good too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I'm really surprised that Tess Gerritsen and Dennis Lehane will be writing them"
    Me too, Carol. I can't wait to read both!

    ReplyDelete